DaVo's Vlog 21
In this vlog, I made a Cajun Pasta Sauce. I've been playing around with a number of names including DaVo's Jumpin' Spicy Sauce. Nothing really has stuck but here is the recipe:
- 3 8oz Cans of Tomato Pasta
- 1 28oz Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 lb of Ground Italian Sausage or Italian Sausage Links
- 1 Onion, I like the Purple Onions personally
- 1 Green Pepper
- 3 - 6 cloves garlic(Jarred is 6 to 8 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne(for milder only one)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper(for milder only 1/2)
- 1 teaspoon of Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups of Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth(Add as needed)
Should be done in one large stew pot.
- Chop onion and pepper into small pieces. If you are using sausage links also cut them into small discs.
- Brown Italian sausage or links cut into bite-size discs. Drain grease and remove sausage and set to the side
- Add onions and peppers to the pot and saute until tender crisp.
- Add tomato paste and pincé the paste or brown it, This is to caramelize the tomato paste a little and bring out more flavor
- Deglaze the pot by adding two cups of chicken or vegetable broth. Make sure to scrape the bottom and get any of that burnt flavor into the mix.
- Once mixed add can tomatoes and spices,
- Mix completely, taste and adjust spices as needed, Also salt to taste
- Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add sausage back to the pot. Understand that this will add additional heat.
- If you want to thin the sauce add an additional cup of broth.
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Taste and add season as needed. For sweeter add an additional teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Add to cooked pasta and enjoy.
As I mentioned in the vlog, you could make hot sausage sandwiches. It's pretty simple, open a hoggy bun spoon in the meat and cover with cheese. Then put it in a 425 degree oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. When the cheese is melted and slightly browned it's done.
DaVo's YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXcJT8zURNwly_73ELrxiuw Please visit and subscribe for more vlogs and live music footage.